Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Baby Bug Bounty


It's baby bug season! Hoorah!

My camera isn't posh enough to get a good close up of anything teeny weeny, but I still think these stickys are post worthy;




Easy does it, sticky. It's a long way down;




Just to prove that my obsession with stick insects has not dampened my adoration of other bugs, let's pause to  admire a newborn spider montage created in the corner of my lounge window;




But we can still go back to adoring stickys, whenever we feel the urge. There's no need to deprive ourselves;




I wonder how much they weigh...not very much, I'd say...




Tiny, delicate, and perfectly formed, just like the leaves they are showcasing themselves on;




And unbelievably photogenic, too. (As if I needed to say that out loud);




Perfection poised amongst the petioles;




They definitely deserve their place in the spotlight;




But back to other bugs...

I almost missed my photo opportunity here because this little fellow was a total speed freak. Caterpillars can really hoof it when they want to. Who would've thought;




Which reminds me...I was wandering through a shopping mall about a year ago when I just happened to look down, and what did I spy on the floor...in the middle of the walkway...but a caterpillar. True story. It looked just like this one. It's a miracle I spotted him as he was the same colour as the floor. I guess his enthusiastic wriggling caught my eye.

At the risk of sounding anthropomorphic, I'd have to say Mr Caterpillar looked a little troubled by his alien surroundings. I, for one, would really like to know his back story. How on earth did he get there? I didn't have time to ask though. With a herd of school children stampeding towards him, I had to take drastic action. I dropped to all fours and formed a protective cocoon around the first time shopper. (It was my first time in the mall too, coincidentally.)

It's quite possible that the people who stared at the strange woman who was kneeling down in the middle of a thoroughfare, had no idea my hands were cupped around a caterpillar. It's also quite possible they may have thought I was more of a freak if they had known what I was doing. I've learned to accept these things. I expect the mall security peeps watching me on camera may have also been perplexed--concerned even--by my activities. 

Anyway, trying to--safely--pick up a squirming caterpillar from the floor of a teeming shopping mall is not for the faint hearted. He resisted my rescue attempts. Eventually I managed to persuade him that my plan made more sense than his did. 

When we finally made it back out into the sunshine, a new problem revealed itself. My efforts to find him suitable accommodation nearby, failed. I had no choice but to bring him home with me. 

A nice woman in a shop found me a plastic cup to put him in for the bus ride, which was a relief. It's not easy extracting ones bus fare--or doing anything else, for that matter--when you're nursing a feisty caterpillar in the palm of your hand. I put a piece of paper over the cup, and secured it with a rubber band. 

Whenever I leave the house now I take a BRR--a Bug Relocation Receptacle--with me. (One of those cylindrical cotton bud containers, minus the cotton buds, in case you were wondering. Works a treat. As long as you don't forget to take it with you.)

I wonder if the fellow in this photo is one of Mr Caterpillar's descendants...

And just to show how unpredictable I can be, let's finish today's little nature excursion with something other than a sticky picky...introducing a shiny new feature of this blog, the RFP, or Random Flower Photo. 

A pansy in the process of unwrapping its gift to the world;





2 comments:

Paul said...

I think your little mate maybe a magpie moth, or at least will be someday thanks to your intervention.

As always, thougherly enjoyed the post - and I can relate. I tend to stop and pick up the critters who find themselves in less than critter friendly predicaments too ... ya have to have a thick skin eh? lol.

All power to ya.

Yay you -

Paul

Holly said...

Thanks for reminding me, Paul, re the bug ID. I did plan to update, but forgot. They are a NZ native too, with a very particular diet though, so I will have to be more selective with my weeding. Have seen the adult moths about as well. Very fetching.

It's so nice to know that other people rescue critters too...yay back. :)